Hampton Heroes/Operation Recognition
Are you a Veteran of the U.S. Military? If you live in Hampton, work in Hampton, are a graduate of Hampton High School or a relative of a current HTSD student or staff member, we urge you to complete the Hampton Heroes form. The deadline to apply for the 2023 Hampton Heroes program will be announced in early fall of 2023.
Since 2001, local Veterans who have completed and returned the form are invited to be honored guests at a program at one of our schools around Veterans Day. About 200 Hampton men and women have been inducted as Hampton Heroes and recognized at the Hampton Heroes program.
The Hampton Township School District recognizes and appreciates the sacrifices made by the young men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces.
During times of war, many enlisted and were serving their country, while their classmates were marching in commencement ceremonies back home. Now, those veterans are being given a second chance to earn their diplomas through Operation Recognition, a program that authorizes school districts to grant high school diplomas to veterans who missed their own graduations while in service to their country. The program initially was authorized by the Pennsylvania Legislature under Act 14 of 1949 to allow World War I veterans to be awarded diplomas, and later amended to include veterans of WWII, Vietnam and Korea.
Veterans who served in World War I, World War II, the Korean War or in Vietnam, and who meet the following criteria, are eligible to receive diplomas under Operation Recognition:
- Honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces;
- Served in the U.S. Armed Forces between Sept. 16, 1940 and Dec. 31, 1946;
- Served in the U.S. Armed Forces between June 27, 1950 and Jan. 30, 1955;
- Served in the U.S. Armed Forces between Feb. 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975;
- Attended high school between 1937 and 1946 during WWII or between 1947 and 1955 during the Korean Conflict or between 1958 and 1974 during the Vietnam War;
- Would have been a member of a graduating class during 1941-1950, 1951-1957 or 1961-1975 but did not graduate due to entry into military service; or
- Is a current resident of the Hampton Township School District or attended high school in the District or a predecessor of this District.
Diplomas also may be awarded posthumously to veterans whose family members apply on their behalf, and who meet the above requirements.
Diplomas are awarded either during the annual Hampton Heroes program in November, or as part of the Hampton High School Commencement Ceremony in June.
Applications are available here and in the Hampton High School office. Deadline for submission for the June distribution date is April 30. Applications may be mailed to: Hampton Township School District, c/o Communications Office, 4591 School Drive, Allison Park, PA 15101 or submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veterans who need to obtain copies of their discharge papers can request them here.